Saturday, September 27, 2014

First Day Alone with TWO


Month 1

2 Years, 9 Months

Sooo Thursday was my first full day alone with both girls. It was… challenging.

Every child is different. Some children can play quietly by themselves. Some children like to dance and sing. Some children are nonstop busy-bodies and into everything - this is Nora. At least with me. I have to pump and feed Hannah separately which chain me down… and to chain Nora down, unfortunately, I need the TV. 

Using the TV makes me feel like a bad Mother. I really don’t like her watching it a lot. I’d rather Nora play games, read books, etc. Since the end of my pregnancy, I’ve either had zero energy or am too tied up with Hannah and we’ve been using the TV as a crutch. I’m a full time working Mom and I use the TV to get myself and my daughter out the door in the mornings. I’ll use it in December when I have three of us to get out the door.  

What’s also hard with Nora is I’m not comfortable taking both girls out; Nora does not stay with me. She is super social, independent and not afraid. She wanders. I probably can’t even go to Target without her running to the card aisle. Despite this awesome weather, I’m afraid to take them to the park b.c Nora will run and I cannot run after her with Hannah. The library is my best option b.c it’s enclosed. And even there, she managed to run away from me and I have to remind her to keep quiet and stay by Mommy. Sigh.

In addition to Nora’s spirited personality, all this change in Nora’s life with a new sibling has disrupted her routine and life, really. She’s been spoiled by everyone [myself inlcuded] and Tim and I get the brunt of her acting out. Kicking, hitting, etc. I’ve noticed she’s even acting against her grandparents which is unlike her. 

The cherry on top of Thursday was Nora pooping her pants. She knows better. I set Hannah down, took Nora to the bathroom, pulled her pants down and went to put her on the toilet so I could clean her up. Except she stepped in the poop. And then my hand went in it. And then we both started freaking the hell out. I grabbed a roll of paper towels and went to town, threw out the underwear. Unreal. Now I can laugh about it.

By the time Tim walked in, I was in my chair pumping while Hannah was in her baby seat and Nora had climbed up onto the changing platform of the Pack-n-Play, playing “drums” on everything on top of the mantel. Welcome home, Dad. Then I drank a beer. 

Angels, right?



3 comments:

  1. oh dear. yes. you are in the hardest time...parent boot camp! it can only get better, right? i totally relate to having to carefully choose where you take them. even sweet obedient toshi would run away from me (laughing her head off) and i couldn't catch up to her with martha. no wonder why people put kids on leashes! ;) luckily, it got better. i kept trying to point out that we can't do fun things unless she listens. not sure it helped to reason with a 2 yr old, but eventually she started listening to me more. maybe she just grew up. or maybe because she had practice at school listening to directions. also, sometimes i use the ipad to keep the kids busy. i like the interactive stories and puzzle games. oh--and my kids learn so much about animals and science from tv. i know it's not good to have them be tv zombies, but tv is not 100% bad. anyway, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing that - makes me feel better : )

      Delete
  2. Ack! I always did wonder how the heck you manage a toddler when you are pinned down with the baby? Let them drum on the mantle. Got it! Loved the ending. :)

    ReplyDelete