Thursday, September 25, 2014

One Week Home

Month 1

Things have been going well here. Hannah is still doing fairly well at night - on a good night, she wakes around 12/1 AM and 4-ish AM. Some nights she’s awake between bottles which is exhausting. Last night we were thrown a curveball; she ate at 8pm which is an awkward time; Tim stayed up until 10:30pm to feed her and put her down, but she was awake until the next bottle at 12:30am when I fed her, thankfully she went to sleep after that. 

I try to coordinate my pumping with her feeding and that was ALL thrown off last night which makes for a rough time. 

Overall, it's been manageable; or we’re just more prepared since it’s our second time. 

Passing thoughts:

- I do have coffee in the AM right after I pump. About 18oz, and that’s it for the day. 

- Hannah is the queen of pooping in her clean diaper before we can even fasten it. Her record is soiling two before I could get one on her. 

- I remember Nora’s awake time being very fussy - Hannah, not so much. 

Exclusive Pumping:

- On the days I’m home alone with Hannah, I’ll try to introduce her to the boob. The Speech Therapist [also eating therapist] told me to wait until she masters bottles to try the boob; Hannah needs to focus on one thing at a time.

- Oh my gosh - if Hannah can’t master nursing and I only pump, it could be almost a year before I sleep through the night again : (  [I have to wake at least twice in the night to pump]

- Pumping Pro: it only takes 15 minutes vs. 40 minutes of nursing

- A work friend got me the Medela pumping bra - it lets you go hands-free, however, I didn’t realize you basically have to take your shirt off to use it. It’s handy [har had] but it feels like a touch more work. I may use it when I go back to work simply to use my laptop while pumping - ! 


It's worth it to give this little one the best nutrition I can!

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad being home is going relatively well, but oh, that sounds like a lot of pumping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah… I'm a little terrified at how pumping could control my life for quite some time … : (

      Delete
  2. glad hannah has non-fussy awake time! i am not familiar with that! good luck with the pumping and feeding. hannah is looking bigger already! what a sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my counter looks the same way! I love the pumping bra - I made 2 baby blankets thanks to that bra! And when I work from home, it's nice to be able to stay at my laptop. Keep up the good work. She sure is worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I think Mandy recommended I get an extra set of pump parts. I didn't listen but about 3 months in, I discovered that my pump came with a set and I had the set from the hospital and a set from my cousin's pump. I could have kicked myself for not going through all the stuff earlier (overwhelmed). But having multiple sets is awesome. I didn't mind the pumping so much but washing all those parts a million times a day really ate away at my sanity. Now I just rinse and let them collect and then wash all at once. I think a spare set is like $13 so I'm passing along Mandy's wisdom as I found it helpful.

    ReplyDelete