Thursday, December 11, 2014

Discovering our Community

14 Weeks

I just found out well-known Cincinnati sports writer, Paul Daugherty, has a grown daughter [I think in her late 20s] with Down syndrome. He’ll be releasing a book this March, Jillian the Magnificent, about life with his daughter. If you’re so inclined, partial proceeds go to the Down syndrome Assoc of Greater Cincinnati. 

I’ve been uncovering articles he’ll write here and there about his daughter - she seems to be an amazing woman and was engaged a year ago to her boyfriend of 9 years. She was also a manager of the NKU men’s basketball team. 

Jillian Gets Married

Jillian’s Job

I can only hope we nurture and help Hannah get to a happy and comfortable life way down the road. My wish is that she gains some form of independence, too - who knows how much further the Ds community will evolve  at that point... hopefully leaps and bounds. 

I keep a quote in my head, “If we raise our expectations, our kids will rise to meet them.”




1 comment: