Wednesday, November 13, 2013

DAV 5K

23 Months, Week 1

Our friend Jen, who works for Baird (a sponsor,) invited us to join them for the inaugural DAV 5K to honor veterans. I was the only one on deck to run, which I was looking forward to - I’ve never done a 5K downtown and was looking forward to flat & fast. 

Saturday morning was above freezing and thankfully crept out of the 30s once the sun came out. The race kicked off with probably 100 motorcyclists rolling down Pete Rose Way. The race was really nice for the most part - they just need to make sure they communicate that walkers should stay in the back, runners up front. Lots of bobbing and weaving for the first 1/2 mile. 

At mile 2, all those bearded and leathered cyclists were standing on the boulevard of Merhring Way, hooting and hollering for all the runners - it was fun. I finished in about 28 minutes so waited for my walkers and watched the finishers - it was impressive and moving to see many men in full uniform with their backpacks and their brigade flags. 

Perhaps a new annual fall 5K!

Motorcycles!


Another race Mom?

Jen & I


1 comment:

  1. You should come and do the Poultry Days 5k with me next year! Now that I'm back in shape and hitting pavement regularly, I can typically run one in 27-28 minutes (as long as my runner's knee doesn't act up) :) They just redid the route last year, and it's nice…flat.

    ReplyDelete