Sunday, November 3, 2013

Born to Run

*Warning: Running post

I’m in a book club that’s been great - have really enjoyed every book so far - whew! The book for our next get together was Born to Run - a mini-saga about a group of ultrarunners [50+ miles at a time] that round up in Mexico for a once-in-a-lifetime trail race with some native Mexicans of the Tarahumara tribe. The book is probably one of my favorites I’ve read... ever? Of course, I’m a runner, so maybe I’m biased. 

The story itself has interludes throughout with interesting scientific studies, spiritual thoughts and anthropological evidence that we are built for long distance running - it really is amazing. One of the more interesting bits was a theory that Homosapians beat out Neanderthals because we could run for long distances; actually outrun their prey with endurance and not speed. Amazing! 

Another bit had some pretty convincing evidence that running with LESS cushioning is better for your body - I’ve asked around the running community and have heard some anecdotes that will drive me to purchase a pair of Vibram Five Fingers this spring - you know, those ugly toe-shoes? Yeah, I’m all over it. 

I went out for a 7-mile run this Saturday and ended up going 8 because I felt good. However, my hip was not happy. Honestly, I haven’t been very strict about my exercises, but I’m also willing to try another route and going to give this “barefoot”/minimal idea a shot this spring. 

The book was crazy inspirational and just makes me wanna go out and run - now.




No comments:

Post a Comment