Friday, August 12, 2016

First Family Vacation Part One: Indy

We took our first official family “vacation” this past week - only because our sitter was on vacation : ) I use the term loosely because it wasn’t relaxing or a very far destination : )

Day One:
We left Sunday afternoon - strategically at nap time - and headed to Indianapolis for two nights. We checked in and then headed back out to dinner to meet up with my college friends, Paul & Kara Mealy - whom I knew in college before they married! They have two sweet girls, Toshi is eight and Martha just turned six. 

We met at the Rusty Bucket near their neighborhood. It was a quick visit but a nice catch-up. Our girls had their own conversation going on which is always adorable. When we left, Kara texted me that Toshi hoped she went to college with Nora - how sweet after just a short time : D No, I did not get a photo and yes, I regret it. 

We stayed at Staybridge Suites - which I totally recommend for families with small children; we had a suite where the bathroom/sleeping space was separated from the living nook and full kitchen! Full fridge, stove, microwave, dishwasher, microwave and tons of dishes and cookware! 



Big Girl standing with support!

We took the girls swimming in the sub-par pool before putting them down for the night. Everyone slept well. Very comfy beds.

Mommy’s evening treat.


Day Two:
Staybridge Suites has a free breakfast - not too shabby. 

Monday we went to the Indy Zoo... it was one mile away and made the mistake of thinking three of us would be able to walk there. I went against my better judgement - I know my four year old. We ended up taking turns carrying Nora on our backs or shoulders. 

The zoo itself is very nice - they seem to not have nearly as many animals as we do and I felt it’s about half the size of Cincy Zoo. We sat down to look at a map and realized we’d seen everything [quickly] in about 1.5 hrs. 

I attempted to take Nora to a dolphin show but girlfriend doesn’t understand the concept of time and waiting, so we left before the show even started. She was also dead-set on getting cotton candy - a sweet she’s never had and was going to get her hands on. After we found some, it’s as if we didn’t need to see any more there.

This just plain made me sad.


Sassy Cotton


We ate lunch in the room to chill out and cool off. Hannah thankfully napped about 1 1/2 hrs while Tim took Nora down to the pool again. 

We went family friendly for dinner to Old Spaghetti Warehouse - ooooo! Pasta is always a safe bet with children. THIS time we took the extra umbrella stroller for the whiney four year old - worked perfect. 


Pre-Dinner “Sad Mall” ride

Classy.


Tim and I enjoyed their best beer - a Newcastle. Eh, I’ll take it. 

Got back to the hotel before bedtime and realized yet another perk of Staybridge Suites - Happy Hour on weeknights from 5:30-7:30! Hell yeah! Good range; cheap beer, craft beer, and a red, white and zin wine. Amazing. 

Day Three:
Made it to the Children’s Museum just before it opened - great place - huge! I think about four floors. I think Nora was on the low end of being able to enjoy it. She did like it. Tim and I thought it was cool. 






A great toddler space where Hannah could do her moves.


I would recommend bringing your own food for lunch because the Museum’s food is not good. Bleh. 

We left at the perfect time - around 1pm and the girls slept the entire way home! 

Two nights in a hotel room was enough and ready to get back home! 

No comments:

Post a Comment