Saturday, November 14, 2015

Just as Thankful, Just as Blessed

Things here have been GOOD. Even with slight runny noses and a busy schedule, we’re really good!

Tim and I went out twice [what??] in the past three weeks with friends. We were able to celebrate Tim’s 40 1/2 birthday since Hannah was in heart recovery on his 40th back in early May.

This winter will be a lot less anxious and stressful than last winter trying to prepare for heart surgery!

The holidays will be relaxing and I won’t be pumping! Woooo!

While many express their thankfulness and “blessedness” this season, I still feel a bit sensitive when others express comments about their children’s health ... Someone pinpointed my feelings well: I feel like a measuring stick to others. “Gosh, thank goodness I don’t have to deal with THAT.”

Just because my child isn’t typical or has medical hurdles and special needs doesn’t make me less thankful or grateful for what I have. Anyone with a child is blessed, no matter how much or little medical help they need. I’m just as #blessed as the rest.

...which I know is unfair and nearly never the case. Everyone is simply happy about their own situation. I admit I compare our life to those who have it harder than us [which is not hard anymore!].

I think we’ve just been through so much the past year and a half and I’m still haven’t shaken the “Why us?” My personality type is just to compare which I dislike... I can’t help it! “Comparison is the thief of joy” - this quote is seared in my brain now!

I also want to get better at gratitude.

I’m truly grateful for everything we have... I just need to get a little better and practicing it : )




“Grumpy” Nora

She can’t stay grumpy!

Halloween bowtie from Aunt Molly!


Hannah on her first wagon ride!



1 comment:

  1. Well said. It's human nature to compare. I try to be mindful when I find myself slipping down that slope too but it's really tough.

    ReplyDelete