Sunday, September 1, 2013

Physical Therapy

I’ve had a sore left hip since after the Half Pig. Four months. Whoops. I really should have gone a while back... I thought more stretching and yoga would help, but I didn’t know how to reach this spot - it felt like I bruised my hip bone. 

I finally went about two weeks ago and my physical therapist has been helpful to teach me exercises to strengthen my hip and steer me in the right direction. He filmed me running on a treadmill and showed me the video; I over-pronate on my left side which means my knee/foot roll in a bit. 

So which came first? The pain is causing me to over-pronate or the over-pronation is causing the pain? Probably the latter. 

So I had to buy new shoes to support my issue. He is keeping me to no more than 6 miles on my long runs. Suck. I was up to 8 because I’ve signed up for the Hudy 14K [almost 9 miles] in about 3 weeks and still aiming for a fall Half Marathon. So it’s a blow to my schedule and my mojo... it ’s been rough. Hopefully he’ll give me “permission” to build up to my Hudy race. 

My exercises have built up to FIVE now which I have to ice afterwards. The evening process takes about 40 minutes. Because I have so much time in the evenings. *More frustration* But I know it’s important to get better.


2 comments:

  1. Ugh! Sounds like no fun! You're doing all the right things - therapy, ice. Did they give you one of those horrid foam rollers to use at home? The pain while using them is blinding but they really help. Good luck, hope you have a speedy recovery!! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen! No foam roller - lots of stretching and strengthening... xx

      Delete