Thursday, June 5, 2014

Finding Joy Again

24 Weeks

It hasn't even been a full month since our “devastating” news... which looking back now isn’t devastating. I’m more concerned about her healthy organs than Down Syndrome! Another person told me this week, “I’m so sorry.” I responded, “Don’t be!” I’ve found other parents and some message boards that have been reassuring. 

We’re in contact with the Down Syndrome Association of Greater Cincinnati [DSAGC] who has an impressive program for all ages. Additionally, they’ve hooked us up with a 2014 birth group that has monthly meet-ups. I think this will be a great help being able to communicate with parents in our boat. 

Of course, I still want my “old” friends to make sure they keep us in their date books too : )

I had my 24 Week OB and Level 2 ultrasound yesterday - everything looked the same, which to me is totally fine. As long as we don’t get “worse.” The only change was a bit more amniotic fluid in me. 

Through the message board I’ve been using, it seems a lot of women with DS babies tend to deliver early - averaging 37/38 weeks - which would put me around early Sept! A lot of this is due to various possibilities; health problems with a lot of babies, the extra chromosome can cause the placenta to deteriorate early, or excessive amniotic fluid which pushes everything out a bit early.

I do hope we get as far along as we can - the longer she’s in there, the more time to develop. 

I’m glad my emotions have come around full circle to excitement again - you feel guilty crying and being upset at the onset of the news, but everyone tells me, it’s normal and okay to “grieve” what you thought you would have. I can honestly say I’m excited for her to arrive and looking forward to growing our love. 

24 Weeks

The technician was sweet to give us 3D photos [shhh!]

She does not have a hole on her head! Simply the image not rendering completely.

6 comments:

  1. Your 24w ultrasound photos are so much better than ours! Our kiddo had its hands AND feet over its face the whole time. The photos they gave us are just a pile of limbs.

    I'm so glad you've found some peace around baby girl's prognosis, and that you've been able to connect with local people and resources for help now and in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw. That's so cool they gave you those images! She'll love seeing them someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Excitement is a good place to be. I'm sure you'll be ready by early Sept-- you are queen of preparedness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just catching up on your blog. I love the Holland excerpt. l love that you are feeling excited about the possibilities and moving past the initial scariness so quickly. What a lucky girl to have such amazing parents.Thank you so much for sharing. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The 3D pictures are amazing! Hannah is looking pretty cozy in there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just saw this...those 3Ds are amazing!! She's so cute!!

    ReplyDelete