Monday, June 27, 2011

Dizziness Scare

I’ve been knocking on wood that I have been feeling very good throughout the pregnancy so far - until this morning.

I had plenty of sleep last night and woke up at my normal 6:10am. Went through my regular routine and was out the door and on the 7am bus. I always eat breakfast, but wait until I get to work to do so, around 7:30-7:45.

I thought it was strange I was yawning a LOT. I’m never so tired in the morning that I yawn constantly. I was reading a few pages from my Bill Bryson book [again very normal for me] and I started to get nauseous. I put the book away and sat there, luckily had some almonds and pretzels in my purse, so popped a few. I started getting dizzy. It reminded me of being young and waiting until the last minute to wake up for church and getting really faint while standing during mass. I got very light-headed and the blue-splotchies started forming in front of me - uh, oh.

I closed my eyes and started taking calm breaths. I realize I should have put my head between my legs but in that moment I didn’t want to cause commotion on the public bus. I don’t get too rattled, but this was seriously freaking me out. I was so afraid I was going to fall in the aisle. My head was swimming and I was sweating a lot too.

Thankfully after what felt like 10 minutes [probably only 2] it started to subside and by the time it was my stop, I was back to somewhat normal. Called my Mom right away [always your first go-to] and she confirmed I should call my OB office. I felt like my blood sugar probably dropped, right?

They confirmed what I assumed - not an uncommon occurrence! The OB said it sounds like I had a shift in fluids and to just make sure I drink a good amount of water before I leave the house and it wouldn't hurt to have a piece of candy in case I get dizzy again.

Glad it wasn’t serious and hopefully it doesn’t happen again!


1 comment:

  1. glad you are okay! it's hard being on the bus when you don't feel 100%. i was sooo tired when i was pregnant. i felt like the baby drained me of everything! hope you get to rest up!

    ReplyDelete