Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Those 2-Month Shots

9 Weeks


Ugh, yesterday was all kinds of dramatic in the first half. 


I tried giving Nora her infant Tylenol before we went for her shots, but it never crossed my mind that she wouldn’t swallow the meds! It just dribbled out all over onto her outfit and the burp rag - I tried three times and even stuck my finger in her mouth hoping she’d ingest some of it! 


We got to the pediatricians; Nora is 11lbs 8oz [75th percentile], her head is 50th percentile and 24" long [90th percentile!]. She does not have acid reflux like we thought all the spit up and chunks may have been. And despite her panting and “anxiousness” we think she has, it’s just normal... she’s probably just a high strung baby as some may be. 


Those three shots... simply AWFUL. She cried hard after the first one, but then because she was so tense the next two were increasingly bad. She cried so hard, she was actually silent at one point, having to catch her breath - it was painful to watch and I was surprised at how emotional I became. My tears spilled over once I was in the car and she was passed out from exhaustion in the back seat.


I mentioned that Nora hasn’t been taking bottles well lately and our Dr said we’d better get on that fast - okay! Geeeez. 


She wasn’t concerned about the 1/2 hr cat naps and I’ve since come to terms that’s just Nora’s bag - she’s a power napper. I was a little taken aback that our Dr recommended Crying It Out already - ! I feel Nora is still a little young - I’d be more comfortable trying that in another 3 weeks. I’m not against CIO, but I’d rather try the gradual extinction where you go console the baby after 5-10-15 minute wait-outs. 


So Nora is on track still and we’re making our way through each day!


I will NOT swallow that cherry-flavored goo!





1 comment:

  1. Sometimes putting the med in a bottle nipple works. She'll suck it down like she is drinking formula. I always hated the shots too! They look & sound so pitiful!

    ReplyDelete