Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Kitchen Facelift

It finally happened! There’s never a “great time,” but after the winter near-move, we turned a left and went with a home equity loan to facelift the kitchen. 

The plan: 
- new cabinets (a pantry that will replace the old double oven)
- new sink/faucet
- new gas range
- backsplash 
- re-located dishwasher

The old kitchen worked, it was just beat up; old double oven, old IKEA cabinets that were starting to fall apart, the sink stained easily and was chipped in several places, and that blessed tile counter that I cannot stand. I also grew up with one and it’s just a pain to wipe down and keep clean. Our gas stovetop was built into the countertop so if one went, so would the other. 




We used our contractor who has done odd jobs for us over the years. Per the reno stereotype, they started a little late - overlapping our staycation (eyeroll). 

The crew started on Monday, July 23rd - a work week so all we had to do was relocate Ailo to my in-law’s home - very gracious of them! 

They got a ton done that week. The local counter place measured on Wednesday night and delivered/installed on Tuesday the 31st. 






However, we weren’t anticipating the toxic fumes from the counter adhesive/epoxy, therefore forced to stay out of the house longer on Tuesday for dinner. Thank God it was a mild summer day (mid 70s) so we could open the windows to air out the house. 

I also wasn’t expecting to stay away on Wednesday, so I was super irritated. I’m not good with on-the-fly plans... my personality does much better with routine! Thank goodness my parents are near-retired and practically live in a cabin, so we retreated back up North for the day and it was great and I could relax a bit. 





Two cabinets did not have an exact paint match (wood grain was showing through) so those replacements should be in the week of Aug 13th, then the microwave can go back in. 

Once all that is re-installed, Tim’s super-handy brother-in-law will help us install the classic white subway backsplash. 

It was such a good feeling to stay HOME on Thursday/Friday and re-load the cabinets and use my stovetop again! I didn’t realize how much I rely on it. 

It’s not a necessity to have a nice, new kitchen, but I’m nearing 39 and I’m in my kitchen a LOT - so, yay for me! 

*Still waiting on last two cabinets/microwave install


No comments:

Post a Comment