Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Queen Bee - Flying Slow

I’m super behind on everything going on! 

I ran the Queen Bee on Oct 8. An all-female race though men are allowed to run [and start behind the women].

Nearly our same crew as last year. The gals I ran with all claimed to be “under-trained.” I felt trained, but I’ve become extremely slow - my typical pace is around 10:20 and lately I’m anywhere from 11:00-11:38 on my last 12-mile run. 

I felt good starting the race and for the first half tried to keep up with my friend and her sister... which I knew wasn’t smart. I ran too fast the first 6 miles. Then I fell behind them to my own 11:00 pace. 

Then I drug. Each mile my legs felt heavier. I’m just glad I never walked. All my “under-trained” friends finished a good bit before me. 

I did not strength train like I said I would. Doing squats and lunges at 8:30pm after dinner, baths, bedtime, dishes and packing lunches isn’t easy to get the energy for. 

I also had that never-ending cough and strained chest muscle. 

I also think those 5am runs were hurting me - it was SO early and I was not running fast. I did my three miles last night at 7:30 and guess what? My pace was 10:22. Of course. 

SO I think I’ve identified what to change moving forward if I want to maintain good races. 

Either way, still fun... I think : )






For those who aren’t familiar - photographers are everywhere at these races - which is fun at the beginning and super annoying at the finish line - because I felt like trash - I actually look better than I felt which is good - haha! Anyway, then they track your information down and try and get you to pay $30 for a picture of yourself looking worn down. Hm.





No comments:

Post a Comment