Sunday, May 1, 2016

Painting!

I think the last painting we did was Nora’s pink wall which became a disaster? THE Pink Wall  

Our house was built in 1980. I think updates on *just* the first floor were made within the past five years. They put most of their focus on the first floor. New [cheap] carpet, older IKEA cabinets [which are still great], and the huge amount of this PEAR paint color. 

Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t dislike the pear, but it’s a bit much for our entire living and dining room. Plus it’s a touch dated. Trends now are for WHITE - light and bright. How can you go wrong? 

You’ll remember our kitchen was a chocolate brown - very early 2000s. Chocolate Kitchen  I’m still so happy with the results. 

We bought more paint with primer included. Prepped/taped on Saturday night. Sunday came and knowing Nora, she’d want to be involved. We tried to give her her own paint brush, but the globs of paint dripping from her brush threw Tim into stress after only 1o minutes. I stepped in and tried to direct her [with more patience]. Tim threw in the towel super fast and took the girls to his Mom & Dad’s so Christine was alone in the house to paint two coats in the dining room on her own!! It was such a nice day even Ailo stayed out - it was a bit surreal. 

After learning from my Dad to lay it on thick [despite what professionals say], I was done with two coats in around two hours. It makes a huge difference already and our next step is to replace the weak lighting fixture... I originally thought I wanted a drum light, but have been seeing rattan/Bohemian fixtures like this one that we may turn to: Boho Fixture

Dining Room before

Dining Room after

You can see how bold the pear is above - it feels more intense at night!


We also painted over the chocolate brown wall that you see as soon as you enter. Today we hit Home Emporium in Springdale [Best. Store. Ever.] We found a large mirror for $60 to bounce some light from the front door - I’d like to flank the mirror with some smaller art pieces. 



And eventually Tim and I agreed we’ll paint the living room a cool light grey for a calmer effect. It’s a two-story job, so we may end up hiring someone...

1 comment: