Sunday, May 1, 2016

Race Season

It’s that time of year - early May is race season! 

Flying Pig, Nashville Rock ‘n’ Roll, and numerous more. 

I didn’t even run a Half until after Nora was born. I think I’ve only run three though it feels like more! 

A friend of mine commented on how proud she was of me finding time to balance myself and clear my head - it’s true - that’s what running is for me - it’s my “thing.” My outlet. 

Before [and after] Nora was born, my weekday runs were immediately after work. Nora was too young to eat dinner with us, so it was easy. I think I did this up until I became pregnant with Hannah and Nora was two and a half, older and eating dinner with us. 

Once I got the clear to run after Hannah - hmm. Two kids to feed and get to bed meant no more after-work running. And I have zero energy once they get in bed to run. In the winter of 2015, I was able to squeeze in three miles at lunchtime at work. The Cincinnati Squash Academy is below us with locker rooms we can use. Now and then a workmate ran with me. 

However, work increased and guilt came to play being away for that hour [I know it sounds ridiculous, but that’s how hard my office works]. 

So almost a year ago I bit the bullet and decided 2X a week to get up at 5am and get in a few miles before the rest of the house woke. Luckily I’m a morning person and it really does jumpstart my day. As they say, the hardest part is simply getting out of bed. My determination is strong enough to get me up. I can honestly say I don’t feel more tired after running at 5am. 

So back to this weekend - I ran the Pig 10K. This is the 2nd year where I’ve “just” done the Heart 15K [March], Pig 10K[May], Hudy 14K [Sept], and the Queen Bee Half [Oct]. It’s a very comfortable running schedule. 

Loads of friends posted their race photos today and I find myself envious of running 13.1! Even though nearly every friend had a really hard time! 

Still get a medal for the Pig 10K!


We’ll see if I decide to do two halves in 2017. For some strange reason in my head, I don’t want to until Hannah learns to walk; we have most our time with her on weekends, those mornings can be used to work with her learning motor skills. I’m crazy, right? 

Anyway, I think I’ve found my new running schedule and it works. I’m grateful for a supportive husband and I try to work around my family. 

I told Tim, I want a bumper sticker that says “I’d rather be running.” : )

1 comment: