Saturday, September 5, 2015

Taking Care of Yourself - or Lack Thereof

I think I’m the typical tale of the Mother who takes care of everyone but herself. Or at least I think Stephanie has described me that way once : )

I had typical post-partum hair loss after Nora. After Hannah, it started around month five I believe. My hair just stopped falling out [in clumps] about three weeks ago. About 6 months of losing my hair. And to get a little more personal - I had a skipped cycle which is unheard of unless I was pregnant [trust me, I’m not]. I was finally starting to worry about myself. I was very close to getting a thyroid lab [and haven’t ruled it out still].

As you all know, this was all happening during our awful winter of bumped surgery dates and a hernia surgery... I was at my lowest weight this past winter as well : (  Clearly life had caught up with me and it was all stress related. 

Thankfully my cycle came back and the clumps of hair in the shower have eased up. Running is the one thing I consistently do for myself; it’s not only my exercise, but my alone time, stress release and time to think. 

I don’t think I’ll ever really be un-stressed - ? Maybe just “less.” I love my little Hannah but a I will always be anxious for her.




1 comment:

  1. The 1st year of Hannah's life was totally crazy. I can totally see how you were stressed, lost a ton of weight, hair, and missed a cycle. That year Paul's mom died I had all the same things happen and we and weren't the primary caregivers. I am proud of you for keeping up with the running. It can be so hard to make time for yourself with kids especially when you fall in and out of routines with all the extra things going on. I'm having the hardest time staying motivated to exercise lately.

    ReplyDelete