Friday, May 29, 2015

Nora: The Threenager

It’s amazing how 3 years and [almost] 6 months is so different than just 3 years... The term “threenager” is incredibly accurate for her vocabulary and behavior. And I think most Moms would agree with me - age 2 was easy. Age 3? Hang on tight.

The tantrums are receding a bit... they’ll rear their ugly head now and then, usually because TV or phone time is over. We’re weak and we need to get the dishes done, what can I say?

Our family is amazed at her language, vocabulary, and communication:

“So are you thinking what I’m thinking?”
“Mommy, I made an innovation.” What word did you just use??

Nora hates being woken up on weekdays [who doesn’t] - “Leave me alone!” 

She does not like when my hair is in a ponytail. Huh? 

I saw a mini version of myself this past week at bedtime. Instead of reading books, Nora decided she was going to take all her clothes out of her two drawers and re-fold everything - !! Um, Hi, Little Christine. I just laid on her bed and watched her for a good 10-15 minutes while she quietly focused on folding and rolling all her clothes back into her drawers. 

Nora is a lot of what I didn’t expect my daughter to be; theatrical, super social, and overly gender-specific; i.e. loves pink and purple and princesses. Uck. But as parents know, we love our children no matter what their current moods and likes are.

My wish is that she loves math and science. Really. The opposite of graphic design. I’m an idealist for my children - I want them to make a difference.

We’ve been filling out her pre-school packet this week. It’s pretty bonkers that we’re at this point. I think it’s interesting that people may not realize pre-school is not a pre-requisite for kindergarten. In fact, the main reason we’re enrolling Nora is for social reasons. She actually knows letters, colors, shapes, etc. I just want her to have a larger social experience beyond the sitter’s house. 

I love watching her grow up and develop a rich personality that is and is not like us. She really is her own little self and man, is it something else - hard to put into words, really. 



*Edit - Tim confirmed my comparison of Nora to Mary Katherine Gallagher - a Molly Shannon character from SNL. This is how I sum up Nora.

A bit like Nora's personality

3 comments:

  1. Nora really is an amazing little person. And, seriously, her language skills have always floored me. Smart cookie, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this little girl and her intelligence, wit & loving personality! Always fun to see what she does next. Never disappoints! <3

    ReplyDelete