Saturday, May 2, 2015

Recovery Day 2

8 Months

A lot can happen in a day! Especially when your baby is a Superstar®.


I had a great night sleep [sorry Tim] at home and ran the Flying Pig 10K this morning - not too bad, I think lack of proper meals and hydration made me feel a little slow. Although I ran it in 1:00:58 at a 9:37 pace so I’m happy. 


My plan was to pick up Tim and head home to shower, however he said I may want to swing by because she could be moved to a regular room - ! Good thing I brought my badge just in case! 


As soon as I got there, they were removing her heart drainage tubes. Ack - I tried to soothe her from the top so I didn’t have to see what was happening - basically they pulled out these tubes that were going through her chest into the cavities around her heart to collect any extra fluids. It was crazy. 


Once she was settled, Tim and I headed home where I showered and came right back. Tim mowed and was picking up Nora. 


I got back and what were they doing next? Removing her IJ tube - you know, the IV from her neck? So she was a hot mess again. I seemed to be hitting all the goodies today. So at this point she only had her hand and foot IVs and sensors on! 


I was able to finally hold her and she fell asleep in my arms : ) Anyone who has had a child in the hospital knows they never get to sleep because so many people come and go and poke and prod : (


Around 2:30 we were moved to our in-patient room! It’s pretty nice - new large tv, bathroom with a shower, pullout twin for me tonight. 


Tim and Nora visited and I was SO happy to see Nora after almost 4 days - ! She was so good and seemed so old. Of course during the family visit was the poorly timed echocardiogram. It took probably one hour and Hannah hated it - I spent the entire time trying to soothe her. I was getting pretty grumpy plus I was hungry, so we were both agitated. Tim and Nora had left by this time since our visit was ruined. The technician left at 4:20 and said he’d be back after they’d looked at the photos and see if they needed more - !! I hung around a bit because Hannah was still pissed. She fell asleep around 5:20 and the guy had STILL not returned. 


I ate dinner downstairs. Children’s is so empty on the weekends. I was lonely. I like the bustling a little bit more. 


Having a newborn in the NICU is slightly easier because they sleep SO much. When your baby is 8 months old it’s harder because she’s awake longer and knows your face... I’ve only been here since 12:30 and I’m worn out [it’s 8:12 currently]. I miss our home routine of a 7pm bedtime and my relaxing time! Soon enough, right? 



Two days post-op!




No comments:

Post a Comment