Friday, May 15, 2015

One Year Ago...

One year ago today [I think it was a Friday] I left a Level 2 ultrasound sobbing. Our baby girl had a list of “abnormalities” that included possible Down syndrome. Tim and I thought our lives were over, we’d go broke, and one of us would have to quit our jobs to help our baby girl. 

The rug was pulled out from underneath us and our expectations were shattered. I didn’t understand why it happened to us: I ate right, exercised, and was so healthy. I saw our neighbor smoking at 8 months pregnant and it made my head explode. 

Fast forward one year and two surgeries later and guess what - none of that happened. In fact, life is “normal!” Our daughter - who happens to have Ds/and is not a “Downs baby” - babbles, grabs my hair, her feet, chews her hands, and is really, really happy. 

The past year has been incredibly trying - difficult, but not impossible. We still spend a lot of time at Children’s and I see so many children who have a very rough time - particularly in the children who are dealing with cancer, etc. It will always give you perspective.

To you or anyone you know who may have a similar journey - Ds is not a handcuff or shackle. Hannah has opened our eyes to acceptance, patience, and has given us new perspective. She is our little warrior full of sunshine.


We are all more alike than different. 



2 comments:

  1. I probably should not have read that at work It is incredible what a 9 month old can teach us. She's a warrior but you and Tim are as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah chose such wonderful parents. You guys are doing such a great job. Thank you for sharing your journey and opening everyone's eyes to how precious life is.

    ReplyDelete