Tuesday, August 12, 2014

34 Week Appointment: Slightly New Status

34 Weeks

Well it turns out that while Hannah is growing, she’s not growing at a typical pace; I don’t think this is uncommon for babies with Ds. We know one little boy who was born at 34 weeks but measuring the size of a 28-week old. 

Hannah is still growing, but I think if she stalls out, they may need to assess whether she’s better outside Mommy vs. inside. At the end of July she was measuring about 3 lbs, 11oz. So I’d presume she’s past 4 lbs by now. I’m really hoping we can make it to 37 weeks; full term. 



I’m scheduled for a Non-Stress Test at my OB next week, then the week of the 25th we have another Level 2 Ultrasound [our last?] as well as another Non-Stress Test and Biophysical Profile: a simple, painless test that’s performed during pregnancy to assess the baby’s well-being – specifically, whether she’s getting enough oxygen in the womb.

The test starts with an ultrasound to observe the baby’s body movements, muscle tone (flexing the arms and legs), and breathing movements (the baby’s ability to move her chest muscles and diaphragm), and the amount of amniotic fluid surrounding her.

So I think that test may determine whether she’ll be taken out or not - ! 

Hannah still has Vertriclomegaly; enlarged brain ventricles due to fluid... no one has talked a lot to us about this which makes me think - if they’re not making a big deal out of it, I guess it’s not as big a deal as her stomach and heart - ? 

From the other mothers I’ve corresponded with, almost no one has needed shunting, even in more severe cases, and the children develop quite fine with no additional delays or cognitive setbacks. Again, these Babycenter message boards have been a great support for me!

So after my appointment last night, I had a release of emotions alone in my car... some of the tears were for “Why us?” but most of the tears were for Hannah’s health - I still know she’s under the best care, but it doesn’t make it any easier. It’s so much for a baby to go through.

Had a good night’s sleep and today is a new day!

34 Weeks

3 comments:

  1. 34 weeks! You look beautiful :)
    We're thinking about you guys and saying prayers for Hannah that all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue - you guys have been very accessible and looking out for us - we love you guys!

      Delete
  2. you are so cute! i'm glad you are finding lots of support—medically and emotionally.

    ReplyDelete