Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Third Trimester Switch!

27 Weeks


Well I knew women did it, I didn’t know I’d be one of those women - I’m switching OB practices at 28 Weeks! 


I’d been with my current OB/Gyn since college and have always been fine with them. But now that I’m pregnant and have an idea of how I’d like my labor and delivery to move forward, that practice doesn’t fit what I need. 


They have about 6 OBs and 2 Midwives, but on the day of delivery I have no idea who’s going to show up. Second, all those professionals range from midwives [Woo Natural!] to High-Risk OBs [Natural? Right.] Every visit I was seeing someone new and it just didn’t feel right - I never felt I “knew” any one doctor well. I even had a Midwife tell me “Oh Dr. ______? She won’t like your decision.” Really? That’s not comforting and I don’t want someone in the delivery room forcing me to take any procedures that I don’t want. 


So I’d never been totally comfortable there. Meanwhile, as I’m interviewing doulas [more about that later] two of them recommended the Bowen Center in Springdale... I had a consultation yesterday with Dr. Wall. He was extremely nice and listened. There are only two doctors and they share the same philosophy that OBs can be supportive of natural delivery in a hospital setting. I felt very comfortable there and he even walked me around the small office and introduced me to the staff members - wow! This is where I should have started - I wish I’d known sooner!

So now I feel 4/5 prepared; I have the hospital that is equipped, I have the doula, I have the OB and we start Hypnobirthing tomorrow night. Now the only missing piece is ME! I hope I can train myself to mentally do what I need : )


Labor position!

3 comments:

  1. In general, it is sooooo important to feel comfortable with your doctor and feel like they are listening to your personal wants and needs. I for one have never been a fan of offices where you never know exactly who you will see. (I'm the same way with my vet too!) I'm happy to hear you made the switch - I can hear in your words how relieved you are feeling already. : ) You'll do great, Christine!

    - Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is wonderful news! i'm glad you are pumped about your birth team. it's getting closer! baby, birthday, christmas --whew-- it's going to be one heck of a season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like things are on track! You will do great in the birth, I can't imagine you being anything but calm and focused. Jen xx

    ReplyDelete