Tuesday, September 20, 2011

That Doula Thing...

I’d been somewhat familiar with doulas prior to becoming pregnant - I thought it was a “hippie” thing... I would never say that now; I see doulas as another support tool to help women in labor and delivery who don’t want medical interventions. 


Since this is our first time, the OB isn’t always with you and nurses are in and out, I could only picture Tim and I alone in the delivery room with wide eyes and no idea what is going on. The doula is non-medical support during labor and after - can tell us what’s going on and help with positions to relieve pressure and move labor in the right direction.


Studies have been done that having a doula support you reduces the length of your labor, reduces the chance of a C-section, there are fewer complications, and babies come out healthier and breastfeed more easily. Of course, you can never predict how a birth will go, I just want to stack my cards for the best result!


Our doula will come to our home when I’m in labor and help me focus on getting through my surges [contractions] and will tell us when the best time to leave it - I plan on staying home as long as possible!! 
She’ll also come for a visit after birth to see that we’re getting on well and breastfeeding is going well too. 


I’m hopeful and eager to see how her help and support works when the time comes!




Doula in the circle, ya’ll!


1 comment:

  1. This sounds amazing. It's awesome that you're finding the best possible ways to get through this for you and the baby, even though they're not on the beaten path!

    ReplyDelete