Tuesday, February 23, 2021

More Self-Health Discoveries

 Not sure why this is the year of “Christine” health discoveries... 

I had my annual eye exam and each year I pay extra out of pocket for Optomap - traditional eye cameras only get about 45˚ of your eyes, while the Optomap gets a 200˚ picture. It helps early detection of other underlying health issues.

The past two years I’ve had tiny small spots on my retina from minuscule hemorrhages. They’ve been consistent and not growing so my OD isn’t concerned. However - this year a new large one appeared. My OD was concerned and referred me to the Cincinnati Eye Institute and wanted me to get bloodwork to cover off on any other health abnormalities. Great. 

At CEI, I had a full range of tests including a salt water “dye test” where I had an IV of salt water as they took photos of my retinas. This would help them see the blood vessels in my retinas. 

Twice the OD asked if I was born premature - ? Nope - full term! Well, it turns out my retinas never fully developed in utero - !! The OD showed me the photographs of my eyes - the blood vessels don’t reach the edges of my eyes, which is causing lack of blood flow and in turn these tiny hemorrhages! 

He said there’s nothing to do about it and it isn’t going to cause any long-term problems, it will just be monitored every year. 

That’s my latest health story! 

This is not my eye, but the red dots towards the top are what my hemorrhages look like. 


No comments:

Post a Comment