Monday, August 8, 2011

What’s a Sheet Saver??

Yesterday was overwhelming - after some nudging from folks, we went over to Buy Buy Baby in Mason and started up the registry.

I had printed out lists from their website as well as The Bump and Baby Center... needless to say, for first-time parents it’s overwhelming. I knew we’ll have to buy a lot, but wow. Some of it was fun, some of it was frustrating. Mainly frustrating were all the feeding needs; the breast pump equipment/accessories, bottles, nipples, etc. I didn’t even get anywhere with that because I feel I need to research a little more on what type of bottles I want and all the Medela accessories I need for the pump I bought.

I think we’re not buying half the things suggested - we don’t need a diaper pail; our home is so small, it’s not a big deal to walk it out the to garage. I’ve read enough to learn a wipes warmer is a waste. I’m not registering for most clothes - those will either be gifts or thrift store finds. And do you really need a hairbrush for those wisps of hair?

We went directly from 2 1/2 hours at Buy Buy Baby to St. John’s Festival in West Chester with William & Emma. It wasn’t awfully hot, I drank plenty of water. We entertained ourselves with a little gambling, silent auction viewing/laughing and some festival food eating. We high-tailed it out of there as some dark clouds approached - just in time.

We got home and I felt ‘off’ - I’d been on my feet for 5 hours and my brain would not shut off with all the registry items. I even dreamt about the registry! I put my feet up, ate a veggie sandwich and downed more water, just tried to relax my mind.

Seeing all the baby items yesterday made the reality sink in a little more and I think I was having some anxiety over the responsibility growing inside me!


2 comments:

  1. A tip: You might see if any of the local hospitals rent breast pumps. That's what I did for Keegan. The supplies that touch you or the milk come brand new and sterilized, but the actual machinery (aka the expensive part) is what you rent and return. These hospital-grade machines can be more powerful and efficient than the home-versions, saving you time. Also, if you rent, then you will not have spent a ton of cash on your own pump if breastfeeding doesn't work out for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hated registering. it's hard to know what you need. i pretty much just registered for what my cousin-in-law did. it all worked out fine.

    ReplyDelete