Sunday, March 20, 2016

World Down Syndrome Day 2016!

Happy World Down Syndrome Day 2016!  [tomorrow, 3/21 - three copies of the 21st chromosome]

We had our WDSD 5K this morning at 10am - again, a cold day for the first day of Spring! Thankfully the sun was out and it was 34˚. Hannah stayed with Nana & Papa so she could get her tube feeding and stay warm. I’m certain next year she’ll attend : ) 

Hannah had loads of support! Grammy & Grandpa Batty, Aunt Stephanie, Aunt Katherine & Jeff, Great Aunt Suzanne & Uncle Randy, William & Evelyn, my friend/coworker Emily and her family and my coworker Brendan and his girlfriend Cheyenne - Thank you to all of you for supporting the Ds community! 

I came in second place in my age group - woot! I ran rather fast which I do during 5Ks. I think a 5K PR! Short race, therefore I don’t need to pace myself as much. 




Coworker Brendan + Girlfriend Cheyenne

Great friend + coworker Emily & family!


Supportive family & friends!


Here is a video to celebrate tomorrow by a worldwide advertising firm. It stars Olivia Wilde and really hits it; I don’t see Ds when I see Hannah. I see Hannah. I think everyone who is close to her agrees and understands now. She isn’t Down syndrome, she’s Hannah:

How Do You See Me?

Another great article by a mother whose son is a touch younger than Hannah. My favorite quote is, “I thought I was educated, but I had no idea how ignorant I was.” It’s true - I’m embarrassed at how much of a bubble I lived in prior to Hannah - no exposure to anyone differently-abled. She really has opened a new door of acceptance and patience I didn’t know about. 

News Anchor to Homemaker

What shocked me in this article was the antiquated information and delivery of their son’s diagnosis by the doctor. “He may never be able to feed himself.” “At best he’ll mop floors of a fast food restaurant someday.” “I don’t want you to feel like you have to be a hero here.” Absolutely unreal. He or she must have decades-old information that is no where close to what individuals with Ds accomplish now - clearly. 

I hope I don’t sound like a broken record... I really know now that Ds isn’t that big a deal. Yes, it will have its hurdles. I’ve learned you can try to plan your future but you only have so much control over it - like they say, you can only control how you react. And my reaction is to be the biggest cheerleader for my daughter I can. 

Hannah, you are pure sunshine. Well, and maybe some cranky clouds now and then : ) 


1 comment: