Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Hernia Surgery - Check

Tim’s procedure was Monday AM at 11:30, we needed to arrive at 9:30 so I was able to “sleep in” until 6:15am. Everyone slept like a rock Monday night after our weekend away with friends [will have to remember to post about it].

My amazing mother came to be with the girls while I took Tim. He went back at 11:45am. I got the waiting room call that they’d started at 12:10pm.

The nice thing about waiting in a hospital? They have legitimate lactation rooms for pumping/nursing mothers. I was able to hit it right after Tim went back.

After pumping, I grabbed a veggie sandwich and Sunchips, wolfed it down.

It’s also amazing that sitting by myself for an extended period of time makes me sleepy. Stopping movement and distractions allowed my body to slow down... it was hard to stay awake in the waiting room. Which was very eclectic. And made me germ paranoid. Anyone who has been in a surgical waiting room may be familiar with the public phone that operating rooms use to communicate with you. All I could think was “How many hands/faces/mouths have touched that thing??” Thankfully the tub of AntiBac gel next to the phone eased my mind a bit.

At 1:50pm the surgeon met me to tell me everything went fine - though it was one of the more challenging cases she’d had - ! I can’t even do it justice with words, so I’m not going to try... but Tim did also had an umbilical hernia so she fixed that while she was in there also.

I had to wait another 1.5 hrs until Tim came out of anesthesia which was 3:30pm. He was really out of it and it’s always strange/hard to see your significant other helpless like that. He was wheeled to a recovery room and we somehow got him dressed and slowly eating crackers and drinking water/juice. By 5:45 we had Tim in the car and were headed to the pharmacy for the big drugs. We didn’t get home until 6:45 - what a long day!

Thankfully my Mom helped put Hannah to bed so I could corral Nora... that has been the most challenging part of all this: keeping a 3 year old away from her father. The tears and fits she has already thrown have nearly crumbled me. 

With my Mom’s help I was able to focus on Nora’s bedtime. She amazingly did not come out of her room, so I was able to make bottles, do dishes, pack lunches and pump all before 9:15pm. 

I managed some okay sleep and in the mornings I have to get all my stuff out of the room and lock Nora out while I get ready and feed Hannah so that she does’t get on Tim. 

Recovery will be a big test of patience...

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow. At least the surgery was successful and is over. I can only imagine the hugs he's going to get from his little girl once she is allowed.

    ReplyDelete