Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Congenital Heart Defect Week

I’m going to start off with saying “Why is there a day/week/month for everything under the sun?” National Pie Day? National Adopt-A-Pet-Day? How can anyone keep track?? 

I digress.

SO - the week before [appropriately] Valentine’s Day was CHD week. I know - another awareness week, but since it’s sort of a part of me now, I will always be an advocate. 

CHDs are the #1 birth defect. 1 in 100 babies will have one - more common than you may think. Hannah’s complete AVSD was complicated, but straightforward and thankfully repair-able. We have a handful of heart buddies and everyone has something a little different. We talk about it like the weather; “Oh an ASD? Small or big? How many surgeries will it require? Who is your surgeon? Oh we loved him!”

While I never wanted to have the experience, I’m happy mine can help other families feel some solace that they will get through it, too.

I’m relieved we’re on the other side... I weigh much more this winter and my hair isn’t falling out - yay!

1 comment: