Friday, November 21, 2014

Exclusive Pumping

11 Weeks

Nursing is hard work. Exclusive pumping might be harder… or the two paths are like apples and oranges. 

I’ve been pumping every 3 hours since September 1st. I wake two times every night to keep up my supply. It’s. Rough. I’ve read that by week 12 your supply is established, but I’m just staying ahead of Hannah. My freezer stash is not much. I’m fairly certain we’ll be supplementing with formula shortly after I go back to work since Hannah’s volume intake is now allowed to go up again. I’m okay with that. 

With all the hurdles we’ve had, a toddler to keep on a short leash and going back to work full time, I’m already proud I’ve been pumping for almost 3 months. My original goal was 9 months. I think at this point, 6 months will be a great goal. That should put us to a bit after Hannah’s heart surgery.  *Oh yeah, I emailed our cardiologist and he confirmed my suspicion that surgery will be mid to late January*

I’d wanted to give nursing a try…we try once a day and Hannah seems to get it; she has a good grasp of suck/swallow/breathe. Again, she’ll never get the amount of calories she needs from me to bulk up for heart surgery. She’s having a hard enough time with bottles, I don’t want to make her master nursing at the same time. I’m okay with that. It’s been a rough road and I’m giving myself a break with a 6 month goal. 

It’s been interesting “joining” the exclusive pumpers club. A lot of women have preemies or had a hard time with nursing. I joined a Facebook page for EPers. Everyone talks about ounces pumped, how many times they pump per day, their freezer stocks, etc. It’s a whole new world. There was one woman today who posted that she’s been pumping for 46 MONTHS. Oh my Gawd. Did you know women drink Ovaltine to up their supply due to the malt in the drink? So many interesting facts you guys! 

I’m almost halfway to my goal - pushing on to February! 




2 comments:

  1. You should absolutely be proud of already getting so far. Hannah is lucky to have such a dedicated mamma.

    ReplyDelete