Monday, January 28, 2013

Moving Weekend - Friday/Saturday

(I’m breaking up the moving days so it’s easier to read and digest in smaller bits)

Friday Tim picked me up at 2:30 and we made our way to the Hollow Creek closing. It was much quicker than Netherland and less awkward - who wants to make small talk with your buyer/seller? 

I do find it a little bizarre that both our buyer and seller were divorce cases. 

Tim and I made it home a little ahead of schedule so we got Nora together with both cars loaded up and took Nora to Nana’s for 24 hrs. HUGE help having Nora taken care of.

After dropping Nora, we went to our new home to vacume and unload some boxes. 

Friday night we packed up the rest of the old house until 12am. I hit a wall at 11pm because that’s the latest I stay up anymore. We woke up at 6am, showered and got coffee and doughnuts for the movers. I packed up the Subaru again along with Ailo. As I was closing the door on Ailo, the movers arrived at 8:30am. 

Our friends, the Barkers, now live very close to us - about 15 mins away - so they graciously offered to take Ailo on moving day. Maggie is their younger retriever who is Ailo’s girlfriend.

I swung down to our new house, dropped a load of boxes, then quickly got back to old house to cram more stuff in the car at 10:30am. Tim and the movers were close to finishing - 95% of our stuff in ONE truck in ONE trip. I’m still amazed. We hired 4 guys, but got 5 since we were the only job that day. Afterall, it’s the end of January for pete’s sake. 

I had to be back by 11am because the washer/dryer were being delivered between 11-2pm. I believe Tim and crew arrived around 12pm. Washer and dryer arrived at 12:15. Talk about coordination. We turned off the heat since the doors were going to be open for a while. I stood in the entry way in my puffy coat, gloves and coffee and directed the movers for one hour. I will pay for 4 movers again in a heartbeat. So efficient and quick. They were a motley crew from Kentucky, quite the hillbillies, but great work and very friendly. 

The movers were gone by 1:45, Tim and I went back to old house for one last load then back to new house by 3pm for Time Warner Cable. I left at 4pm to get Ailo, home at 5pm, then left to get Nora at 6:15. 

We were noticeably exhausted according to everyone which was funny. We left within half an hour so that Nora wasn’t too off her bedtime schedule. 

Tim and I cracked some beers and continued to unload boxes - I don’t like chaos and clutter, so we have been pretty efficient at unpacking quickly. 

Saturday night we fell into bed at 11pm.




Ailo is always hard to see in shadow, but this was him moping around the last day.

No comments:

Post a Comment