Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Who Needs Toys?

11 Months, Week 3

An acquaintance posted this video on Facebook and I think it’s lovely... I think all kids are creative enough that they really don’t need toys. 

I remember as a child, my sisters and I would play “beauty pageant” [wow], play with the fridge boxes in the basement, play dress up with my Mom’s 70s clothes and build forts in the backyard with wood palettes and oil drums [Dude, my Dad constructed our house, we had a lot of junkyard-type items laying around]. 

I hope I can steer Nora to unleash her own creative mind despite all the marketing that pushes her to “need” all the other gear. 

http://www.wlbz2.com/news/watercooler/article/222335/109/Preschool-replaces-toys-with-cardboard-boxes-kids-love-it

2 comments:

  1. Dude, I am sooooo with you! I am catching a lot of flack for being "anti-toy". Part of my aversion is the clutter, but mostly I see too many kids at school who lack creativity and need to be "entertained" all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There were many reasons I loved going to play at your house as a kid, but one of my favorite things we played with (besides the cool toys) were all of the cardboard boxes y'all had the in the basement. Remember when we made mazes and cities in the basement? Also, I don't know if you remember this, but once there was a pile of tires stacked up, and I told you and Steph I wanted to crawl in. Bad idea - I got stuck and nearly panicked.

    ReplyDelete