Monday, April 20, 2020

Ohio Quarantine Week 5

Last week was rough.

Monday I had a dip into depression. It wasn’t full blown, but enough to throw me off. It sucked. I heard from a lot of other friends that they were in a deep funk Monday too. I wonder if since Easter was so isolated and not as social, it threw everyone off? 

Tuesday Ailo was zooming around the yard and we think he strained something. He yelped in the driveway and Wed was whimpering and limping a bit. Tim took him to the vet which made us anxious. But the vet team was covered in protective gear and Tim wore a mask. No one was in the store (Banfield is inside PetSmart) while they examined Ailo. They found nothing and sent him home with anti-inflammatory meds for two weeks. 

Wednesday I had an all-office lunch Zoom catch-up. Towards the end of the call, I put on my big girl pants and knew I was going to get vulnerable. (Twenty people on a Zoom call) I thanked everyone for giving the parents patience. I said "This has been really really hard." and my voice cracked. Ugh. Then my eyes started welling up and I said "We parents really just need some grace and empathy. We cannot work 8 straight hours a day, we are breaking up our days from 7am to 11pm." Everyone was very kind. One of my friends started tearing up, another had to turn away from her camera b.c she started crying. Every Mom messaged me after that call and thanked me for having the courage to speak up. I'm so glad I did, even if it meant exposing emotions - which is sadly rare in my office. 

I had a 4:15pm call with Hannah’s OT and teacher, Ms. Booth. As soon as Ms Booth gets on these calls, Hannah freaks out and runs away. I do not understand it. Hannah refused to come back to the laptop. I had to talk through her skills with her OT. When I got off the call at 4:30, I thought it was quiet and Nora came over to me to tell me Hannah had fallen asleep on the couch - this never happens. It's literally the 2nd time in Hannah's entire life she's randomly fallen asleep anywhere. 



The rest of the week went better. We had a Zoom “date” with good friends in Denver Friday night. Saturday and Sunday were quiet. Still chilly here and wasn’t terribly sunny. 

I had a pretty successful Kroger pickup Saturday AM - got a lot of produce and maybe 90% of what we asked for. 

Hopefully this week is a little less emotional!

No comments:

Post a Comment