Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Viral Stories

Down syndrome Awareness:

Look.

I don’t need my daughter to be Homecoming Royalty or an “honorary member” of a sports team or squad. Viral stories are a blip in what matters in the long run. My child shouldn’t be a charity act for another typical child. 

Obviously I can’t speak for the families whose students are “honored” in these viral stories - I’m certain it’s still a great feeling to see care for our kids - But I do want to know what happens the following week: Are students eating lunch with the girl with Down syndrome? Are students inviting the boy with autism to their sleepover or birthday party? THOSE are the events that truly matter.

Kindness is not a 1-and-done action.

I would rather my daughter have daily, meaningful moments of GENUINE friendship and inclusion than one big gesture that gets thousands of “Likes” and “Shares.”

Inclusion is not just for special occasions. Be kind and inclusive ALL the time.


No comments:

Post a Comment