Friday, October 18, 2019

1:59 Marathon --> Down syndrome

For avid runners, we know “typical” marathons average around 4 1/2 hours - at a 10 minute pace.

When I ran the Flying Pig half marathon in 2013, I finished in about 2 hours and 20 minutes. As I came down the final half mile with the finish line in sight, the crowd cheering grew enormously. On my left in the marathon chute, the winner of the full marathon was passing me. It was surreal and super cool. He ran a full marathon in the time it takes me to run half that distance. Mindblowing. 


As time has gone on, marathoners have been inching closer and closer to breaking under two hours for a full marathon. It just happened last week. 


Nike has funded and trained a small trio of elite men (all from African countries) since 2014 to attempt this record. 


What most people don’t see are the scientists and engineers behind the scenes. Robby Ketchell is a performance scientist and a long distance runner. He also has an 18-month old son with Down syndrome. 





Robby is also virally famous for a photo taken of him carrying his son over the finish line of the 2018 NYC marathon




So proud of Robby and his connecting two of my loves: Running + Down syndrome! Keep up the advocacy, Robby! 

No comments:

Post a Comment