Friday, May 18, 2018

Flying Pig 2018

This is my year of scaling back the running. No halves. Perhaps nothing above the 7 miles I did for the Pig Relay! And I’ve been okay with it. 

I can either run at 5am which is proving difficult since Hannah does not sleep through the night and I really need every minute I can get. I can sometimes muster out if Nora falls asleep by 7:45pm. Once 8:30pm hits, no way. I’m typically upstairs and getting ready for bed at 9pm. You know, because of the night waker.

Myself and three other friends agreed to do the Pig Relay - my first relay! It runs the course of the full marathon - each leg was between five and seven miles. I volunteered for the last leg, seven miles. Not bad - I didn’t have to train too hard. 

But between Hannah’s dehydration and life, I just managed to get myself up to six or seven miles before race weekend.  

It was fun... being the last leg, however, means a lot of waiting. Ooph.
I woke up at 4am; I need one hour to drink coffee, eat and digest. 

Left at 5am to pick up my friend and her husband. 
Parked around 5:45am and we went to our bus loading zones to be bussed to our transition locations along the marathon route. 
My bus didn’t leave until about 7am. At our location was a small Baptist church which was extremely friendly and allowed us all to wait inside as needed, with beverages and light snacks. I sat for a good half hour since it was a cool 50˚ outside. 
My 3rd leg didn’t arrive until about 10:05am and by then it was actually warm out - maybe 70˚? That’s hot for marathoners believe it or not. 
My seven miles weren’t too bad - hot and a little flat though. I felt like a jerk among all the marathoners who were struggling though! Pardon me as I pass you on fresh legs! 

I finished around 11:20am. I think our group time was something like 4hours, 50 minutes - not sure how that compares to a full marathon time! 

Another medal to add to my rack!



No comments:

Post a Comment