Thursday, July 6, 2017

Folly Beach 2017 - Part One: Getting There

We’re coming out of a whirlwind near-two week vacation!

Started when I left work on Thursday the 22nd - Tim and I packed everything we could into the living room then left for a concert that night - ! Poor timing, but I can never miss My Morning Jacket! 




The next AM, we had a bustling house (Grammy & Grandpa spent the night to watch the girls) and were on the road by 9am. 


I think we stopped for lunch around 11:30 - Cracker Barrel for kid-friendliness. Girls were both asleep by 1pm - sweet! 

I think we had one more gas stop before we arrived at our hotel in Asheville somewhere around 4-4:30pm. We stayed at the Ramada Asheville Biltmore West. Based on some reviews and the price - under $150 - we thought it’d do the job. 

Well, shame on Tim and I for not researching a bit more. We didn’t realize it was a motel - which wasn’t a dealbreaker. However, it was the most run down place I’ve ever stayed. And I’ve stayed in a lot of hotels. I can’t pinpoint one exact “thing,” but it was just dirty, torn linens, stains on walls... we refused to wash the girls in the tub. Never set our bags on any fabric. 

Ramada Asheville Biltmore West
*We should have reviewed on TripAdvisor [my favorite site] - those traveller photos on the right side tell the story better than I can!

We managed the pool - which wasn’t clean. Nora got in the hottub which I wish we hadn’t... bacteria?? It was as if the place used to be super cool like twenty or thirty years ago and is now just abandoned. The only employees we saw were at the front desk. 

We thankfully found Upcountry Brewing just a few miles down - an amazing brewery with fantastic food. I felt “off” with all the driving, Hannah being a difficult toddler at dinner, and the motel room was not helping me relax. 

Tim and I got some mini wine bottles and hunkered down just waiting for morning light. I forgot how hard it is to sleep in a hotel room with your children - ack. I think Hannah was asleep by 9pm, Nora by 10pm. 



We were at the connecting IHOP by 7:30am. We attempted to eat fast and get on the road. Which we achieved by 8:30am - way ahead of schedule. The beach house wouldn’t be open until 4pm - !

Man I love the mountains


With only a supposed four hours between Asheville and Folly Beach, I think we stopped once for lunch and the girls miraculously again both fell asleep by 1pm! They woke up as we were waiting in traffic on Folly Road, slowly making our way onto the island : ) 

And even more thankfully, the house was ready by 2pm, so when we arrived by 2:45, we were able to unload and Nora was immediately in the amazing little pool out back!

The house was amazing and exactly what you want a beach house to feel like - cozy and roomy!












No comments:

Post a Comment