Tuesday, January 5, 2016

January Cleanup

After an indulgent holiday, like most of the nation I felt a need to clean up my diet a bit. 

Typically my family and I have fairly good habits. However, when I was training for the Queen Bee, I  flippantly responded to sweets and junk as “Oh, well I ran X miles today, I’ll just have this donut.” Most of my running friends act this way, too. Well, even after the race I was still eating those donuts. I truly noticed a change in how I felt and some physical parts of me. 

I had heard of Whole30 and read up on it a bit... I’d be intrigued, but not sure I want or need to challenge myself that harshly Whole30 Rules. We already eat mostly fish, veggies and have eliminated most grains due to Tim’s GERD. 

Plus I don’t know how much of it I buy... eat lots of animal protein but rice and legumes are not allowed? I’m feel confident saying we have a lot of bad conditions and diseases here, yet the Eastern world who has a cleaner diet - in my opinion - does not see the rate of disease we do - and they seem to eat a lot of white rice. 

Additionally, the Sports Nutritionalists who made this diet UP are just going on judgement:


Well damn, I know the basics of food and nutrition, I should have created my own system and made millions. I think for those who need strict guidelines and rules - awesome. I feel like I know enough about food to clean my own act up. 

So net, I’m basically doing my own diet re-boot by eliminating dairy, sugar and grains for about two weeks. Keeping rice and legumes where I choose. After about two days, I already feel really good and my gut feels good; no bloating. 

Ramping the running up slightly for the Heart Mini 15K [about 9 miles] on March 15th - last year was great and I had a PR pace of 9:37 or so. I like this distance because I don’t have to train *too* hard. I’ve decided to only do the Pig 10K this year - I like easing back and being able to focus on the family on the weekend - specifically use mornings to help Hannah get some physical therapy in at home. I’ll do the Queen Bee Half in the fall again - 5am runs are way better in warm weather. 

Today was rough: waking up at 5am to run in 19˚ weather isn’t even my idea of fun. Two base layers, schlumpy college hoodie, wool socks, snow mittens, a face/neck muff, hat... I probably looked homeless, but darn it, I wasn’t too cold!! I managed 3 hard miles I think due to my inefficient breathing in the frigid air. 


Let’s do this, 2016! 

2 comments:

  1. I did a Whole 30 last year. I always meant to post about it but never did. I think because, while I did stick with it for the 30 days, it ended right before Thanksgiving and after that, I had trouble getting back to it. I have actually recently been considering doing it again to reset but I've got a mess of things going on and just haven't committed to it.

    ReplyDelete