Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Cuddles or Lack Thereof

With the deluge of babies this year, I get a little down remembering the newborn stage with Hannah... I wonder if a lot of NICU Moms feel that way; not really being able to cuddle your newborn due to wires or tubes. Days or even weeks. 


4lbs 10oz!

I can’t believe her head fit in my hand!


Only to come home with your baby and she has a catheter tube coming out of her belly. You’re so freaked out it will pop out, you can only cradle-hold her and never do a shoulder/chest snuggle out of fear. 


Tiniest peanut helping Mommy grocery shop.


Once Hannah moved to the mic-key, it was slightly better but still anxious about that button that seemed/seems it could pop out with the slightest wrong move. I’ve basically only cradle-held her since she’s been here. 

Luckily Baby Nora would sleep on my shoulder a lot. 


Baby Nora and a young Mommy!


Babywearing? I loved the idea but in practice, Nora hated it - she always preferred facing out in the Baby Bjorn. Hannah - again, afraid of that awful catheter tube coming out. 

To this day, Nora isn’t a huge cuddler - though in the early hours of the morning, we’ll let her in our bed and I enjoy that time. 

To this day, Hannah is also not a cuddler - she pushes arms and hands away! She’s actually starting to lay her head on shoulders now. Really she just likes to be up, alert, and observing everything!

Both girls are wiggly as all getout. They just won’t sit still to be held. Now days Hannah will roll out of your arms to try and wrestle Nora - it’s pretty funny! You can also tell she wants to MOVE so badly; her muscles just aren’t there yet.

The main point of all this wraps up to last night. I was putting Hannah to sleep - she’s too big to cradle hold anymore so I try and get her to get sleepy just holding her in the chair, but most nights she just sits up in my lap and fusses with my face, hair, or drawstring. 

Well last night, she burrowed like a little animal on my chest, smooshing her face in my shirt, bringing her knees up and actually fell asleep on my chest! I’m not sure it’s ever happened. I got all mushy inside and sat there for a bit to enjoy it. 

Reminiscing over my baby days : )


Mood swing Nora and content Hannah!





1 comment: