Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Children’s Hospital; Pre-Op Day

15 Weeks

My anticipation of this pre-op day was way worse than the day itself; it always works that way, doesn’t it?

On deck for pre-op procedures:
1. 7:30am sedated echocardiogram
2. EKG immediately following
4. consult with our Cardiologist
5. bloodwork for thyroid
6. chest X-ray

My anxiety was basically around keeping Hannah comfortable because these were our instructions for a 7:30am sedated echo: No fortified [formula] breastmilk past 1:30am, no plain breastmilk past 3:30am, no clear liquids past 5:30am. Huh? I then learned she can have Pedialyte as her last bottle before we left. 

Hannah woke up for an extra feeding last night which didn’t help our sleepy 5am wake up this morning. Zzzz. Nana graciously agreed to come over at 6am to be here for when Nora woke up and spend the day with her while we were gone. 

Hannah’s anesthesia was in the form of a nasal spray - she did well with it and was asleep in 30 minutes. I think the sedation was my biggest fear; seeing your child out cold for a medical procedure - but really, it just made her go to sleep so she was super peaceful. 

The room nearly put us to sleep; sealife projected on the ceiling, white noise and this crazy colored light contraption that we assume was purely to put kids at ease while having echocardiograms. Trippy!

Hey kids, just chill out maannnn.


Her echo was 30 minutes so I was able to slip out and pump. The nurse to perform the EKG was in and out within 10 minutes - easy peasy because Hannah was still out of it. 

We met with Dr. Kimball, our cardiologist. Hannah’s weight gain isn’t as much in grams per day, but she’s still gaining in the right amount, so he’s very happy. Hannah’s heart defect is very straightforward which is good; textbook procedure for the surgeon. Since Hannah is doing so well, Kimball wants to keep her gaining and push surgery to late January/early February. I kind of wish it were earlier, but getting her larger makes total sense. 

Cardiology will present her case to surgery later in January and we’ll be able to consult/meet the surgeon which is good - I want to see the face of the person who will be working on my daughter’s delicate organ. 

Next we moved to having blood drawn. Worst part of the day. Did you know when blood is drawn from an infant, they use a tiny tourniquet and check for tiny veins in her inner elbow? Yeah, it was awful. I’ve never seen Hannah scream that much in all her 15 weeks. Poor thing passed out after that right quick. 

Finally, we went to Radiology for her chest X-ray. Did you know it’s a walk-in situation, you don’t make appointments? Thankfully it was rather quick, Hannah was a bit fussy, but quick.

Before we left we found the lactation room so I could pump again and Hannah got some breastmilk. We’d arrived at 7am this morning and were out by 12pm. Not bad considering how much we achieved today. 

Tim and I enjoyed a leisurely lunch at Dilly Deli in Mariemont followed by another leisurely cruise through Target for Nora’s Xmas gift. Mind you, Hannah is STILL sleeping due to her crazy morning. 

I went to buy Tim and I a Starbucks latte treat which turned out to be free because the person in front of me paid for it - ! Fun! I love the pay it forward game! I’ll have to be sure I play sometime soon...

We arrived home at 2:30pm and Nora oozed love all over us. Tim and I were able to each run a short 3 miles and we had a great evening as a family. 

So my anxious preparation turned out to be a smooth and fairly enjoyable day!

Sleepy, sleepy Hannah - the public loves a cute sleepy baby and today proved that : )





2 comments:

  1. Those lights are pretty crazy. Glad everything went smoothly! Cute sleepy babe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her cheeks! I need to smooch them! I can't believe those diet restrictions--I would have been so worried about that. Thank goodness she handled everything as best as possible. Poor thing! I also can't believe she slept though lunch and a Target trip! What a good girl!

    ReplyDelete