Saturday, January 11, 2014

2014 - Already Big Changes

*Written on New Year’s Eve 2013

So this year has already started off with a bang… and it all happened over the course of 2 weeks.


Monday, Dec 16th I had a fun dinner with friends, one of whom is a gal who used to work at Landor. She just moved back to Cincy and is working at a small studio founded by [and employed] with ex-Landor employees. Not intentionally. 

This gal, Emily, said they were looking to hire creatives quickly. Emily absolutely loves it; she works part-time, loves the work she’s creating, enjoys the people in the studio and has a very positive attitude about all of it. One of the founders heard Emily was seeing me this night and thought that maybe I’d be interested in hearing about the place and work they do…

Let me state, I really enjoy my job at Landor. Mainly, I love the people. The work is decent - the brands I work on take a while to get on shelf, mostly packaging, there is rigorous process that takes a long time. The wages are fair, but we’re owned by a larger parent company which makes raises, bonuses and promotions very hard. However, I’ve been treated well and it’s been solid. And again, I love everyone like family. 

On Dec 27th I met with the founders of this newer creative consultancy, goDutch. I know/have worked with one, the other I did not know, but he’s also an ex-Landorian. 5 of the 6 other employees I’ve worked with at Landor - ! So I already know all the ladies and they’re all lovely and great at what they do. I asked questions. I was intrigued. 

Once all my questions were answered, I felt like after 10 years in my comfort zone, an opportunity has been nearly handed to me and it will probably never happen again. It’s time to jump. I love Landor, but I don’t want my entire career to be defined by it. This small studio has a variety of work that everyone touches and everyone rolls up their sleeves to create. 

This morning [New Years’ Eve] I drove down there again to finalize things and officially agreed to their offer. Holy cow. I’m pretty anxious but in a good way. Leaving my bubble after 10 years is scary, but I think it’s time to shake things up. 

Now I just have to break the news to my team next Monday, Jan 6th… vomit. Wish me luck, it’s going to be excruciating. 

January 8th

I broke the news to my director and peers this past Monday and Tuesday - everyone has been super sweet and accepting. It feels a bit surreal and I think I’ll be a little emotional when it’s time to leave. 

Here’s to a new year and a new job! *clink!*


2 comments:

  1. Best of luck & love with your new beginnings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! Stine that is so amazing. I'm so excited for you!!

    ReplyDelete