Saturday, October 5, 2013

Hip Update

I’ve meant to update on my hip “injury” - I’d gone about 4 weeks 2X a week and he downgraded me to once a week and have one more visit. 

My PT [physical therapist] thought he felt a fatty cyst on my hip weeks ago - it was a lump we kind of felt one day that moved around. A week later we felt it again and the lump was gone. I then went to my general practitioner and she didn’t feel a thing. She had no suggestions and thought I was fine. Sigh. 

So I guess keeping up on stretching and strengthening properly are the remedy for now. 

I wish I’d started this process way earlier because I decided to check it out during the high mileage of training for a fall Half Marathon. Unfortunately my PT held me back which is probably good for my hip, but has sidelined me for any fall Halves. Bummer. 

I was still satisfied I could do the 9 mile Hudy race and it’s kind of nice to “chill out” on the training schedule. 

I’ll probably keep a calm fall/winter schedule and try again for a spring Half!

*For the running nerds:
My Nike Sportband fritzed out on me in August due to the USB rusting - not cool, right? Running gear needs to withstand sweat and rain. The band wasn’t even 3 years old. Nike was awesome an gave me a $60 voucher towards Nike.com so I went ahead and bought the GPS watch. And... it’s awesome. I simply strapped it on, hit start and it connected to a satellite which was accurate on my pace and distance. When I plug it into my computer, it mapped out my run on Google maps and highlighted in tones of yellow to red where my fast/slow spots are on my course! Highly recommend. 





2 comments:

  1. I'm in the same boat with a hip "injury". I got a referral to a sports med person back in April, but haven't followed up on it because what was I going to do? Not run the races I'd already paid to run? Now that I'm done racing, I need to actually DO something about it. Also: I'm jealous of your new gear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. E - I think runners are probably some of the most stubborn people when it comes to fixing an injury - because we don't want to STOP!

      Delete