Friday, October 11, 2013

Dog-gonnit

I hate drama. I don’t seek it out, I don’t respond to it, I avoid it. Additionally, Tim and I are extremely non-confrontational people. 

So you can imagine my paralysis when a policewoman came to our door a week ago around this time [8pm] to inform me that a neighbor had called in to file a complaint against Ailo. Our dog barks too much according to a cowering neighbor who calls the police instead of coming to talk to us. That, friends is the most frustrating part of it all. 

The policewoman said the neighbor said it’s been an ongoing problem. Really?? Because if I knew it was ongoing, we would have nipped it in the bud a while ago. 

Second, we have full time jobs which allows our pup about a 30 minute window in the AM and a window between 6-9pm in the evening to get his wiggles and talking to the other dogs out. We thought keeping him in by 9pm was fair. He’s a dog and he’s not the only one in the neighborhood. Of course I’m biased, I don’t think he’s any louder or more howl-y than the next dog. 

So I’ve started damage control by walking around our immediate neighbors to [re]introduce myself and hand out our phone number. Letting everyone know if Ailo is a nuisance, to call us directly - and not call the police. I’ve talked to 4 neighbors and they’ve all been surprised what happened to us and very supportive. We are not crazy. Ailo is not a nuisance. 

One neighbor did tell us the couple behind us [with no pets] had at least 3 situations with the old owners and their dogs - ! Ah-ha! I sense a pattern beginning. Tim had only met the wife in passing who was very pleasant. I’m now bound & determined to get over there this weekend to introduce myself and give them our phone number to call if Ailo is a bother. 

*We are trying to do a better job of stopping Ailo from barking/howling more than he should as well as starting to give him short walks in the evenings. That way he gets his energy out and we don’t have to let him out as much in the evenings. 

Hopefully this subsides.


No comments:

Post a Comment