Thursday, December 13, 2018

The Titration (CPAP) Study

Spoiler Alert: It. Was. Awful. 

----------

First problem: I didn’t realize a titration study (calibration of a CPAP) actually involves having to wear the mask. Damn. No one ever gave us a practice mask, so that already set us up for a bad night. 

The first battle was even getting Hannah to wear the headpiece. That was a fight in and of itself. Fighting and thrashing. Myself and the technician decided to wait until she fell asleep. 


This photo is FALSE ADVERTISING.


Getting the mask on was a struggle, but Hannah would somewhat tolerate it and doze off. Then I would wait until she was solidly asleep and try to attach the air hose. The longest she went was 10:30-11:30pm. Then she woke up gasping and thrashing, ripping it off her head. These attempts and gut-wrenching wakings happened until 3:30am when I exhaustively told the technician to stop. I was done. My child was in distress and now I’m afraid she’ll never take to this device. 

We slept from 3:30-6am. 

We got to the car a bit before 7am and my car was covered in ice and I couldn’t locate an ice scraper in my car. I nearly cried. Turned the car on and sat with the heat full blast for a good 10 minutes. 

I gave Hannah a bath to get some glue out of her hair. I sent her off to the babysitter so I could nap. It was good to have the afternoon to myself. Nap, run, coffee & shopping. I needed that afternoon alone.

I’m fully convinced this CPAP is not going to work. We were told if Hannah didn’t tolerate CPAP, we’d move to surgery - which still isn’t guaranteed to solve her sleep apnea. 

Additionally, I’m concerned about the costs. Our insurance only covers 50% AFTER the deductible is met. 👎Sigh. And we’re not even sure she’s going to wear it. I want to tear my hair out.



1 comment:

  1. Hopefully soon something will work successfully! Hang in there! Always here if you need us for anything. Overnights always available! ❤

    ReplyDelete