Monday, January 1, 2018

Toilet Training with Down syndrome: Two Days Later

I was nervous about the following day - technically we had met the program goal, but I wasn’t convinced we could chill downstairs out of the “training” environment. 

We kept Hannah home all day and in training underwear. Every time she said “potty,” we would get her on the toilet and 9 times of out 10 she went! She had ONE wet pants first thing in the AM when we put them on. 

We’ve had two days at home since the training day and Hannah has had no wet underpants. I’m pretty amazed and proud. 

While Hannah gets most of the credit for being very smart, I credit Tim and I for spending about a year of getting her on the toilet and praising any voids. Teaching her the sign for potty was key of course. 

She still has wet diapers when she wakes up - who knows how long that will take. I’m not sure we can send her to school in training pants, either. I need to talk to her teacher and see how they feel about it. (Hannah goes four days a week, 2 1/2 hours). 

Like all milestones, every kid is different. Realistically, I totally expect Hannah to still have accidents. What took us essentially one day may not be the same for your family. But it’s worth a shot!

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment