Thursday, August 31, 2017

Hannah & Preschool: Part 3

Monday was a busy Hannah day - all for good. 

At 8am we had our final Help Me Grow appointment with our coordinator and PT - the two we’ve spent the most time with. They’ve helped Hannah since she was an infant! We gave the two women a Hannah Banana shirt and a note thanking them that had photos of Hannah growing up. 


I teared up a bit saying farewell. Hopefully not the last time we see them - I promised to update them with how Hannah does in preschool. 


Which was our next appointment - 11:15 at the preschool to go over Hannah’s IEP (Individualized Education Plan). 


In the room with Tim and I were the school psychologist, director, two Help Me Grow reps, the ST (the PT and OT could not make it) and Hannah’s teacher, Ms. Booth who seems super sweet. 


Her IEP is fairly straightforward - preschool level development. PT includes learning to jump and managing stairs up and down without holding an adult’s hand. ST includes two-word phrases and expressive communication. OT includes following through with tasks like a 4-5 piece puzzle. 

Ms. Booth took us to her classroom where we saw Hannah’s name on a cubbie. That’s when I nearly started crying - ! Reality is setting in. 

Because Hannah is on an IEP, she is allowed to be picked up and dropped off by the bus at our sitter’s house (this was not an option for Nora in Kindergarten). This is incredibly helpful because I’m not sure with all the schedules we could have done anything else. She will be picked up at 8:50am and dropped off at 11:48am. I wonder how tired my little boot will be??

She’ll ride a full size bus which has 5-point harnesses in. I believe an aide rides the bus to assist kids who need help. If I remember correctly, even a typical kid has trouble getting up those huge bus steps!

I’ll come in late to work that morning to see Hannah onto the bus. I’m already anticipating bawling my eyes out - my baby!


No comments:

Post a Comment