Monday, May 22, 2017

Kindergarten Here We Come!

Last week was a very busy Nora week!

Tuesday was preschool graduation at 6:30pm. Inconvenient for us... we’re typically wrapping up dinner around then. Instead, we left around 7:15, got in Skyline’s drive-thru and weren’t home eating until 7:50pm... when the girls are usually being read to for bedtime!



Photos by Hannah®


Wednesday we woke up to Hannah with a swollen and red eyelid. Craaaaaaaaap. I stayed back to take Nora to her last day of preschool and call the pediatrician when they opened at 9am. Does anyone else feel like 9am is such a late start time? 


Halfway to school Nora declares her belly hurts. She says she doesn’t think she can go to school. Is that a fact? I know she gets slightly carsick and these last minute “Does she or doesn’t she?” really tests me as a parent. 


I didn’t have a lot on my plate at work. She’s pulled this before - if I linger around her too long she takes advantage. Which she did. I erred on the side of taking her home just in case. 


I was mad at myself. I knew she was fine. She was not allowed anything special at home. Why was I a pushover? Because I will never forget the time I took her to Alison’s and she was sick. And I knew it. And when I picked her up that evening, she looked wretched and I will never forgive myself for that. 


So from now on it’s only home if there’s a fever or vomit. I told her once she gets into Kindergarten, you get penalized for missing school. I made her go to swim lessons that night. 


*Oh Hannah’s eye was fine. I saw a whitehead on her eyelid and confirmed with the Pediatrician it was a stye. Lots of warm compresses throughout the day and it was fine. So I basically stayed home with two non-sick children.


Thursday Tim took off to take Nora to her preschool picnic from 11-1pm. Again, super convenient time for families with two working parents [sarcasm]. Nora was also treated to Scene 75 [she loves that place, I can’t stand it - sensory overload]. 


Then Thursday evening we all went down the street a little for Nora’s Kindergarten open house! It’s a brand new school and students only started in there this past fall. I was pleasantly surprised we saw Nora’s actual classroom and even met her teacher, Mrs. Horner! I was surprised they only have two K teachers; one for all-day [Nora] and one for AM/PM classes. 




Nora enjoyed checking out the schoolbus even though I’m not sure when she’ll ride one. We went for all-day K purely due to logistics. Our sitter can’t transport Nora and the bus will not pick her up there. We had to go into a lottery for all-day K and thankfully got a spot. Then we tacked on before and after care [thank goodness that exists now] so we can just pick up and drop off on our way to and from work. 


Nora understand her time at Alison’s is coming to an end, but she’s excited. Bittersweet - she’s been with Alison since she was 18 months old!! 

Nora around 18mos!






5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on full-day kindergarten! We didn't win the lottery and we currently have AM...as you said, NOT friendly to families with 2 working parents. :( We're going to have way more shuttling, stress, and pay more money for next year. Frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your doctor doesn't even take calls before 9? That's crazy. And I don't want to sound like a jerk but I have a question, is there any time that is convenient for 2 working parents for events? I mean it seems like they at least tried to plan for lunch break or after normal working hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Yes - 8:30/9am or 4/4:30 are selfishly convenient times for us: bookending the workday. I agree, the school seemed to schedule the picnic around lunchtime. Tim just unfortunately works 1hr away and not in the area, so it was better to take the day off.

      Delete
  3. I'm insanely jealous of that kid bedtime. We are having sleep issues with both of ours. Love Hannah's eye for composition!

    ReplyDelete