Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Running Rebirth

 When the pandemic hit, I was in the middle of half marathon training. I had signed up for the Flying Pig 3-Way with Extra Cheese: during non-pandemic times, that means a 1-mile race Friday evening, a 10K immediately followed by a 5K Saturday morning, then a half marathon Sunday morning. 

With the entire world shifting, I lost all motivation and just stopped, going back down to my 3 miles 3X a week.  I didn’t know how I’d ever get the motivation to get back to all those miles with no in-person racing. 

Like most of the nation, I fell into a funk... definitely ate and drank my way through my sadness. Once fall 2020 hit I was tired of being tired and had to shake myself up. 

I had been a part of a "Fit-Minded" Moms group who all have kids with DS. One woman in particular has been a trainer for 17 years and has her own small business. She had a new year special for her 20-minute workouts through an app. I started in December and immediately got hooked. It was the perfect amount of time and I really liked her personality - not the annoying in-your-face type trainer. Her schedule mixed up whole body strength, legs, arms, core, cardio and stretching. 



In addition to the new strength training, I also stopped snacking at night. I barely drink wine anymore and have swapped to a couple seltzers on a weekend night. While some people scoff, I do practice intermittent fasting most of the week. I like it and helps me feel less bloaty. Perimenopause during the pandemic hasn’t helped. 

Slowly but surely I’ve felt stronger. And even more - I’ve become about 45 seconds faster in my running - ! I’m almost embarrassed I waited so long to strength train. It clearly has so many benefits, especially as a women in perimenopause. 

Throughout my training, my pace has been under 11 minutes per mile - which has not happened the past two years. 

This past Saturday I did my “official” 10K and had a 10:11 pace - ! I set my own PR (personal record). This morning I wasn’t planning on doing my Pig 5K, but I woke up earlier than my alarm and started strong and decided to push it - I ended up doing my 5K with a 9:34 pace! Now I just need to see how my half marathon goes!





I’m so proud of the work I’ve put in and have been enjoying running again with my lifestyle changes 💗

*I ran my half and it went... okay. I struggled the 2nd half and I think it could be because I didn’t hydrate enough the day before. However, I did keep my pace under 11 min miles, so I’m still proud of that!



2 comments: