Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Oophorectomy Update

Quite a word, eh? “An oophorectomy (oh-of-uh-REK-tuh-me) is a surgical procedure to remove one or both of your ovaries.”

My parents graciously drove down to watch the girls while Tim took me to my surgery at Christ - about 30 minutes away. Arrived at 8:30am. 

I had a pre-op COVID test the week prior. It wasn’t far and a testing site for only pre-op needs - which was nice, I was the only patient at 8am. The swab was gentle, she only went a bit into my nostril, not as far up as the other tests.

Tim and I went into a triage room. Got my IV and gown on. The new warming blankets were pretty bizarre - they hooked up to a small vacume-sized machine that blew hot air into a hollow blanket. It was actually quite cozy and warm. 


They rolled me back close to 10:30am. I’ve never been in an operating room - it was bonkers - didn’t realize how many people would be in there - so many lights and instruments and I think I even saw the laparoscopic robot! 

They put the oxygen mask on me, and I was out in 5-10 seconds! 



The next thing I knew, my eyes opened in recovery. The RN next to me asked how my pain was. I muttered that on a scale of 1-5, my pain was a 2. It was strange laying there, coming out of anesthesia. I kind of enjoyed just laying and resting. 

Surgery only lasted 45 minutes! Dr. O spoke with Tim at 11:15am. I opened my eyes around 12pm, was wheeled back to a room around 12:30. I think we left near 1:45pm? 

I have three incisions; one in my belly button (I can’t even detect it) and two on each side of my pelvis. 

I needed extra strength ibuprofen the first three days, never needed the big gun painkillers! I’ve mostly just been sore. I didn’t realize how much I used my ab muscles throughout every day. I did take stool softener too because.... I needed gentle help!

Recovery has been much easier than anticipated. I’ve been enjoying the down time, taking care of odds and ends, running errands - like renewing my drivers license! I’ve been taking walks every day while I listen to podcasts - it’s been relaxing! 

My follow up is this Friday. Dr. O called me last week to see how I was doing - she was happy that I’m doing well and said my health and physique helped the ease of recovery. 

She advised I take two weeks off which I questioned. At first I was irritated I had to use so much PTO. However, if we don’t use it, we lose it. So.... in a way I’m glad I was able to take advantage and use all my PTO that I had! Luckily we’re headed into November so Thanksgiving is approaching and then a good break for Christmas. 





1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear everything went well and you are having a relaxing recovery!!

    ReplyDelete