Friday, February 8, 2019

Our First Discrimination.

It “only” took four years before we encountered what I think I consider discrimination against Hannah.

We’ve been searching for childcare for Hannah (that’s another post) and we were looking at local daycares. In-home has been great (more attention), but when your sitter or sitter’s child is sick, you have to scramble. Daycares are more reliable.

We tried Jellybean Junction in Milford and they were fairly open and willing. The director was a touch nervous about the student to teacher ratio; 14:1. Which did make Tim and I a bit nervous, too. BUT the Director was still open and willing to take Hannah in. 

We tried another option down the road, Youthland Academy. It had multiple locations in the Tri-State area. Tim spoke to the Milford Director who said she’d get back to us. The following day, the owner of the daycare, Sheila, called me and told me they could not accept Hannah. My skin started to prickle and I asked her “Why?”

She rambled for quite some time, claiming two main points: 1. That her teacher/student ration wouldn’t allow for extra eyes on Hannah and 2. That her preschool staff were under-experienced for a child with special needs. She said she was “only” a 1-star daycare and that it would be better for me to find a 2-to-3 star daycare. When she finished giving her reasons, I calmly but firmly told her it was in her best interest to get inclusive fast. Parents with children of special needs work too. 

Then I hung up the phone, shaking, and went to the bathroom at work to cry. It felt like our first true refusal based on Hannah’s diagnosis. I was so, so, mad. 

I posted this experience on our local community’s Ds Facebook page and multiple families chimed in that they had experienced similar refusals from this daycare - over the years. Unreal. 

One particular Mom who is super on top of the legal rights and policies gave me multiple organizations to file complaints - which I did. 

It’s 2019 and those with different abilities are able to work and participate. Get on board. We support those who support us.

Don’t mess with my Baby Cub. 


No comments:

Post a Comment