Wednesday, March 21, 2018

World Down Syndrome Day 2018

March 21st, tomorrow, is World Down Syndrome Day. Three copies of the 21st chromosome. A lot of parents may visit classrooms to teach about Down syndrome, or about celebrating our similarities/differences at a more basic level. Many celebrate by wearing mismatched socks to again promote that while we share similar abilities, we can also celebrate differences. 

I personally side a bit more with celebrating that those with Ds are more ALIKE than different. Some year I may gather my thoughts and find a way to educate my daughters’ classrooms when the time feels right. I just don’t think preschoolers will grasp Hannah’s differences - and why point them out?

However, tonight, the real meaning of World Down Syndrome Day hit me. Hannah and I were at her preschool celebrating Moms. We were gathering our crafts and about to get our coats on when another 3-year-old came up to Hannah and with a huge grin, waved and said “Hi Hannah!” Hannah said “Hi” and waved back. The little girl said she was in Hannah’s class. Her Mother came over and said she hears about Hannah all the time.

The emotions on the drive home hit me like a wave - THAT is what acceptance and awareness are. Simply acknowledging, accepting and welcoming those who are just a bit different than you. Granted, the girl was only three and probably didn’t even think Hannah WAS different than her - which makes it that much more pure.

So again, friends - simply educate your young ones, your friends, and challenge yourself; empathy, compassion and acceptance. Not turning a blind eye when you see someone could use kindness. I can only hope that Hannah continues to have friends who want to engage with her. THAT means more to me than mis-matched socks.



1 comment:

  1. "Her Mother came over and said she hears about Hannah all the time" :)

    ReplyDelete