Thursday, January 12, 2017

So Much For a Boring 2017

Tuesday evening I was in the middle of making dinner when it hit me: nausea. Whoa. I literally turned off the gas range and nearly walked to the bathroom to get sick. 

It passed. I finished making dinner and managed down two sweet potato corn cakes. 

I had to put Nora to bed and I started getting bone-cold. I was throwing layers on and she wasn’t going down easy. Tim already had Hannah down and I mustered the strength to half-assed pack lunches and try and prep the crock pot for the next day. 

The aches were creeping in. 

This whole time there’s a wind storm happening outside.

I went to bed at 8:15 freezing under a tank, shirt, sweatshirt and two blankets. Aches and nausea. I tossed and turned and could not fall asleep. 

Around 9:30 the wind picked up fiercely. To the point there was a brief moment I thought there was a tornado - and then: CRACK! SLAM! 

Holy Sh*t. 

I jumped out of bed and met Tim outside Nora’s bedroom - she was asleep and wall intact. I was pretty out of it but knew at least some large branches fell. Tim went outside with a flashlight - indeed, a tree fell against the house. Wow. 

I laid in bed until at least 12:30 when I could literally feel my temperature rise back up and enough to fall asleep with some sweat. 

I could not make it to work the next morning - still lethargic and slight nausea. Girls went to the sitter and I climbed into bed. 

Then at 10:15am Ailo went crazy barking because a tree guy arrived to assess the damage. I also saw my phone that my sitter had been texting that she was ill. I politely stood listening to the tree guy and told him I had to run and get the girls while he got paperwork ready. 

Mustered myself together, got girls from my even sicker sitter, came back and signed paperwork. Then my neighbor started hollering at me. Whom I had yet to meet - whoops. Very sweet retired couple whose red pickup was destroyed by a tree felled completely on the cab of the truck! Wow. 

By the time lunch rolled around I was feeling better. At 2pm a contractor showed up to assess structural damage - thankfully Hannah was still napping. 

The day ended typical which was good. 

As awful as the situation was for a brief moment, I’m extremely thankful that 1. No one was harmed (Nora’s bedroom is just above all of this) and 2. The tree didn’t come through the house. It was inches from shattering that patio door and we escaped with a dent in the frame. 

Thank God for home insurance. 

Also - trees on your property are great and painful at the same time. 







That damn gnome from college is STILL THERE.




2 comments:

  1. Oh wow. Glad you are all ok and survived both the stomach bug and the tree! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah! What a night. Sorry about the tree but glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete